The London Borough of Merton's regeneration team responsible for strategic planning, placemaking and urban design, climate change, economic development and inward investment.
Main sponsor and funder of the futureWimbledon competition.
The team is responsible for:
- Strategic Planning Policy and Research
- Public Realm and Transport Planning
- Climate Change
- Urban Design and Conservation
- Economic Development and Business Growth
- Major Planning and Regeneration projects
Main functions of the team
- Developing and implementing regeneration schemes including levering in funding for local initiatives from external sources and planning agreements.
- Co-ordinating and developing business enterprise and support activities, working with Merton Chamber of Commerce and within the London Business Support Network and South London Partnership to encourage business retention and investment, and including input to the land use planning process, provision of local economic information and specific initiatives.
- Co-ordinating the council’s support to the Voluntary Sector, working within an agreed Compact, to which the Police and Sutton and Merton PCT have also signed up. The value of the Merton Compact has been recognised nationally through a Gold Award from the Home Office and nomination as a finalist (the outcome to be known in June) in the Municipal Journal’s Annual Award scheme for Local Government. Support for local groups includes annual grants, three-year funding arrangements and a small community grants fund.
The section delivers activities which contribute to community and economic development and renewal across Merton, working closely with the business and voluntary sectors.
You can follow futureMerton on Twitter @futureMerton